If your goal is to be a good example for your kids by showing them how to make healthy eating choices, you can start with these low carb tips for families.
As parents, you have the power to set the stage for a lifetime of healthy eating for your kids, especially since a recent study shows that teens and young adults with prediabetes and obesity have a greater risk of developing type-2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
If your goal is to be a good example for your kids by showing them how to make healthy eating choices, you can start with these low carb tips for families:
Show not tell. It’s one thing to tell your kids they shouldn’t eat packaged foods with lots of added sugars like cookies, candy, or other sweets, but it’s another thing entirely to set a good example for your kids by avoiding these things yourself. If you’d like to get into more detail, check out this article on how to identify added sugars and all the aliases they go by.
Limit sugar. Help your kids pick products with low sugar and teach them how to spot added sugars.
Keep veggies and fruits front and center. You may be surprised! Your kids may reach first for a colorful snack of veggies or fruit instead of chips or candy if you prep and wash your veggies and fruit, store them in clear containers and keep them at kid level.
Follow the 80/20 rule. Encourage your kids to make healthy choices 80% of the time (and make sure you’ve provided them with these options). The other 20% of the time, let them indulge in a few treats. After all, they are kids!
Find some go-to low carb recipes. Get your kids involved in picking out some low carb recipes that look appealing to them.
Don’t be a short-order cook. If you’re following Atkins, you can easily modify your family’s main meal with a few tweaks, such as serving yourself cauliflower rice and serving them brown rice, or having a side of a starchier veggie such as a sweet potato for them, while you just have the side of steamed broccoli or asparagus.
Break a sweat. Your kids may already get plenty of exercise in addition to recess, thanks to after-school sports and activities but make exercise a healthy habit for the entire family. Skip screen time in favor of a family walk or trip to the park.